Sunday, November 17, 2013

My Hair Follicles Hurt

Fibromyalgia is such a strange syndrome.  Pain bounces from one part of the body to another.  It hurts to be hugged at times.  My fillings ache on occasion.  There are even times when my eyesight becomes blurry.  I own a pair of glasses just for these incidences.

I woke up today with a massive cowlick.  I gently crawled out of bed, coercing my feet to cooperate with my legs and when I slowly passed by the mirror, I saw the aftermath of whatever turmoil caused my restless sleep.  First of all, I take five different sleep aids to tame the midnight jogs with my eyes closed.  My guess is that last night, if I wasn't jogging, maybe I was dreaming about being at a head banging concert.  Or maybe just dreaming about my hair being licked by a cow.  Just one area on the top of my head, toward the back, was standing on end.  With long hair, that is quite a task to achieve.  It stood about three inches up then the rest of the strands bent and cascaded downward…and not in the pretty way.

I stopped at the mirror and ran my hands through my hair, trying to look less frightening…or would that be frightened?  As my fingers gently touched my head, I felt the sensation of something yanking on my hair.  Thinking that my ring may have gotten tangled, I went to take off the ring that I removed a day prior.  I tried to just pat down the craziest parts when shooting pain scurried through my scalp.  I was able to touch the ends of my hair with no pain, but anywhere near the scalp was feeling like a full out hair pulling cat fight.

There are many symptoms of my fibromyalgia that I have not experienced in over 6 months.  The extreme body aches, loss of the mobility in my legs, extreme exhaustion, brain fog, etc.  Dr. Bier, through exam, tells me that there is improvement in my health and I have a long way to go to reach a healthy status.  It's one thing to hear him give me the good news of improvement, but just the slightest bit of improvement makes me feel really healthy.

I'm grateful that my body is communicating what Dr. Bier is reporting as well.  I may have improvement, and the reminders for me are these small signs of "not there yet".  My crazy painful follicles are a wonderful sign telling me to continue to take it easy, follow the healing plan and keep listening.


Thank you for reading, forwarding and following!!!

Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment