Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Day In Slow Motion

The day started with a scheduled MRI to look in on a pancreatic cyst discovered a year ago.  As I got ready to leave the house to go to the hospital, I felt as though I was a beat behind.  Driving the half hour to my appointment, I hit little traffic, went the speed limit and was early.  The drive felt like a dream.

I was told that I needed to get my blood drawn before the MRI and to go back across the entire building to where the blood draw room was.  I said, okay and filled out paperwork while I waited to be stuck by a needle.  I happen to have one vein that nurses have referred to as, "the best vein ever".  Of course old reliable was stuck once again.  Back down the elevator, around the corner, down the hall, following the creepy ramp in the narrow hallway to return to MRI.

The 'johnny' is always too large, hanging off of me as if my body shrunk while sitting in the waiting room.  I was lead through winding halls and doors into a strange room with computers.  One door was blackened and that's where I needed to go.  The door was opened for me and a gust of cold air escaped.  Was I going into the refrigerator to slow my body functioning before the MRI?  No, the monstrous tubular machine barely fit in the room and the slim table with hardly any padding waited patiently for me.  Hook this, tape that, oh there's Old Reliable Vein again, ear plugs, headphones, blanket-I'm cold and a slow ride into the darkness.  I closed my eyes with gratitude for some rest and maybe meditation for a good hour.

I relaxed, got comfortable and...BANG, Clank, Wheeze, Snap.  I heard a voice say, "Now, breath in...hold your breath..............................................................................and breath out."  No rest for the weary.  Pay attention to the instructions and ignore the cold breeze flowing directly in through the one spot in the blanket not covering my arm.  I listened and followed what the voice in the headphones told me.  The perfectionist in me wondered, at times, if I missed a beat.  Did I doze?  Back on track.  Clink, Clank, Bang and the narrow table begins to birth me from the belly of the whale.

Still living in a daze, I relinquished the ever baggy robe and strangely fitted pants.  Ah, my own clothes, which, by the way, had no metal or buttons.  Why couldn't I just wear my own, well fitted clothing, into the spaceship?

Food, I needed food.  I thought maybe life would be returned to my molasses kind of day with a bit of protein.  At home I made burgers and a fried egg.  I couldn't decide.  In light of the long nap I took after eating, the protein didn't bring me back from the walking dead.  Could it be the weather?  I may not know why I'm walking on air, but if it were up to me...and it is... I choose to look at it as a success in levitation!

Thank you for reading, forwarding and following!!!
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment