Friday, August 9, 2013

Children Say the Darndest Things

I was driving in the car with my son today.  I love spending one-on-one time with my children.  I get to hear about what's happening in their lives.  There's time to connect and sometimes teaching moments.

I mentioned how I've noticed his sister quietly observing me while cooking.  First, let me back up a bit and give you some history.  I get distracted easily.  And when I have fibro fog, I often forget what I'm doing.  Because of this, I've burned many-a-dinner.  My three were about 9 or 10 years old when they came up with, what I call, My Kitchen Mantra.  "Never leave the kitchen while cooking!" I've even been chanting this kid generated mantra while cooking and chanted it all the way to my bedroom.  Yup, that's how my brain works sometimes.  So, back to my daughter.  I've left the kitchen, drawn out by some random thought in my head and when I returned, I found my youngest standing in the kitchen stirring the pasta, soup or whatever I abandoned on the stove.  She'd smile, hand me the spoon and go back to what she was doing.

While sharing this with my son, it led into me telling him about the things I've noticed him do.  Lately, during times when my body is in a lot of pain or I'm overwhelmed, he'll gently approach me and ask if he can help in any way.  There are times he'll just say, "I got it Mom.  Why don't you go lay down."  Or a caring, "Are you ok?"  These small moments really make me appreciate these precious beings, my children, even more.  After expressing my gratitude for these moments, he smiled and said, "If or when I have kids, I want them to be just like me."  Oh, I laughed so hard and said, "You deserve to have kids just like you!"  I laughed even harder because I realized that the words coming out of my mouth are words that many Moms have said over the years, but they had a very different meaning.

Our time together was fun, enlightening and definitely had teaching moments.  I think I was the one learning.  They are very wise-beyond-their-years people.  I love it!



Thanks for reading, forwarding and following my posts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment