Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Enjoying a Blessed Stressed Blessed Sandwich

I did it!  I carefully, rolled out of bed early and took some quiet time for myself before waking the triplets to begin their day.  It was the beginning of the last day of school and they promised to be at school early to cook a breakfast for the graduating 8th graders.  The energy and excitement was in the air and I was handling it well, after my jog/walk/jog.  I felt ready to be open to what the day was going to bring me.  I told the kids that I'd pick them up at the end of the day, so they didn't have to carry all our borrowed kitchen ware on the bus.  This brought some scowls, so I told them that I'd pick up the items before school ended and they could enjoy their last bus ride home, this year.  I knew I needed to get my name changed on my license, so since I was driving the kids to school early anyway, it made sense for me to just show up early to the Department of Motor Vehicles to be one of the first in line when they open.  Good plan!  I was third and helped within ten minutes.  It was like the twilight zone.  I'm use to reading the Harry Potter series while waiting for my turn to be called at the DMV.  I realized that I was just down the street from the library and I knew that they were holding a book for me, so I went to pick up my book.  After the library, I received an email from my bank stating that there was a deposit made in my account.  Bonus!  Unexpected income.  Gotta love it!

One of my daughters asked me if I could straighten her hair before the school dance tonight, so that was the plan.  I took it easy most of the day to try to conserve energy for the two hour process ahead of me. She has very long, very thick and very curly hair.  I often tell her that many people pay good money to get their hair to look like hers.  At least I did, back in the 80's.

After school the excitement shifted from the last day to the big dance.  I even equipped myself with earplugs to block out the television noise while blowdrying and straightening hair.  You see, when the blowdryer goes on, the TV volume goes up, my nerves go berserk and my ears begin to ache.  I was good.  I thought ahead.  I didn't really anticipate that half way through, by body would quietly say, "sit down" then a little louder, "SIT DOWN" and when I didn't sit, my back began to spasm.  I took a short break from the flat iron fun and sat on the couch.  With some deep breaths, I then got up to finish. Her hair came out amazing, I must say so myself.

Meanwhile my son was standing at the mirror trying to remember what the youtube video taught him about tying a tie.  My other daughter decided that her bangs needed to be straightened and asked me to do it for her.  I had to say no and go rest in bed.  Next I saw her at my bedroom door in tears telling me that she messed up cutting her bangs and she needed my help.  I took some pain reliever and got her bangs back in order.

I promptly returned to my bed.  Then there was that call that makes all moms want to change their name.  "MOM! We need you", coming from the girls' bedroom.  It turns out, my youngest made big plans to get her hair straightened and neglected to try on the dress she planned to wear.  She's grown at least 4" and two sizes since she wore the dress her sister was trying to squeeze her into.  They wanted me to work some magic with getting the zipper closed.  As I hobbled in, in slow motion, I could tell right away, there was no amount of magic I could perform, in less than a half hour, before it was time to leave.  She had no dress to wear to the dance and when the reality hit, so did the tears.

What's a mom to do? Well, of course, I recruited my husband to drive two to the dance and I took the third to the store.  The first store, second dress she tried on and we resolved the crisis.  While paying for the dress, we got permission for her to re-enter the dressing room to get dressed for the dance.  She put shoes on while I put lotion on her knees.  She put earrings on while I applied her make-up.  As we were leaving the store, she said, "Mom. Thank you." with tears in her eyes.  She looked beautiful and showing up fashionably late, created a frenzy of, "yay, she's here!" with hugs all around.

I finally had a chance to rest my body before picking the three up at the dance.  10pm came very quickly and my over-cooked, wet noodle of a body didn't want to move.  I drove to pick them up and when they got in the car, all of them were eerily quiet.  I saw my middle child looking down and wiping her eyes, I could hear sniffles from the back seat and my son seemed sullen.  My super hero power of enhanced neurological sensitivity picked up on the deep sadness they were all feeling.  They were saying goodbye to the 8th graders who they spent a whole year getting to know.  Many had become good friends.  As much as I was aware that the emotions were not mine, I couldn't help but feel my heart being squeezed.  This may have been the first time I've seen them all grieve together.  I know they'll be okay and the memories will be what shines through when the sadness fades.

I am so blessed, often stressed, and so incredibly blessed!

Thank you for reading, forwarding and following my post!

No comments:

Post a Comment